In the early twentieth century, Russo-Japanese War veteran Saichi Sugimoto searches the wilderness of the Japanese frontier of Hokkaido for a hoard of hidden gold. With only a cryptic map and a native Ainu girl to help him, Saichi must also deal with every murderous cutthroat, bandit and rogue who knows about the treasure!
Captured by renegade soldiers from the 7th Division, Sugimoto's life now rests in the hands of Asirpa and "Escape King" Shiraishi, who must work together to save him. Meanwhile, Sugimoto's list of enemies continues to grow. Hijikata, the former leader of the legendary Shinsengumi, intensifies his own search for the hidden Ainu gold, and another adversary teams up with an expert hunter-one who knows the wilderness of Hokkaido at least as well as Asirpa-to track Sugimoto down!
* An award-winning action-adventure story in the tradition of Treasure of the Sierra Madre and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.
* Releases 4 times a year for 8+ volumes. Series is ongoing.
* For fans of Western action-adventure stories like The Revenant and The Hateful Eight.
* History buffs will appreciate the unique setting and background-basically a Western set on the Japanese frontier.
* The story features an accurate portrayal of the Ainu-the indigenous people of northern Japan-and their language.
* Winner of the 2016 Manga Taisho Award.
* Nominated for the 40th Kodansha Manga Award.