"A masterly survey of the last 13 years of Very Long Baseline Interferometry, reviewed in light of the most advanced astronomical observations. Topics covered include: Nonthermal emission from extragalactic radio sources; Principles of synchrotron emission in relation to astrophysics; Theory of relativistic jets; Young, powerful radio sources and their evolution; Scintillation in extragalactic radio sources; Radio and optical interferometry; Radio polarimetry; Unified schemes; Deep fields; Tropospheric and ionospheric phase calibration; Supernovae; VLBI for geodesy and geodynamics."
"Preface. List of Participants. List of Lectures.
1. Radio astronomy: a short historical introduction; F. Mantovani.
2. Principles of synchrotron emission in an astrophysical context; T. Huege, H. Falcke.
3. Non-thermal emission from extragalactic radio sources: a high resolution broad band approach; G. Brunetti.
4. The observational properties of blazars: selection relationships and unification; I. Browne.
5. Observing blazars with VLBI; R. Porcas.
6. Theory of relativistic jets: basic concept; E. Koerding, H. Falcke.
7. Parsec-scale morphologies and properties of radio sources; T. Venturi.
8. Supermassive black holes in the Universe; A. Brunthaler, H. Falcke.
9. Young powerful radio sources and their evolution; R. Fanti.
10. AGN unification: past, present and future; I. Browne.
11. Radio polarimetry; B. Cotton.
12. Gravitational lensing with radio bias; I. Browne.
13. VLBI observations of gravitational lenses; R. Porcas.
14. Scintillation in extragalactic radio sources; M. Bondi.
15. Supernovae; J. Marcaide.
16. Astrophysical masers; R.S. Booth, P.J. Diamond.
17. Radio and optical interferometry; B. Cotton.
18. Optical interferometry: astronomical application; B. Cotton.
19. Data Analysis; B. Cotton.
20. Deep fields: the faint sub-mJy and microJy radio sky: a VLBI perspective; M. Garrett.
21. Space VLBI; S. Frey.
22. VLBI for geodesy abd geodynamics; J. Campbell.
23. Tropospheric and ionospheric phase calibration; J.-F. Lestrade.
24. Ground-based VLBI facilities: the European and global VLBI network; M. Garrett.
Tutorials. Contributed Papers. Index."